The Role of the EEO Counselor
The EEO Counselor serves as liaison between the employee and management in the informal complaint processing stage. The counselor is neither an advocate of management nor of the employee.
- Advises employees of EEO rights and responsibilities under the law.
- Meets with complainant and records the informal complaints of discrimination (must contact counselor within 45 calendar days of the alleged incident or personnel action.)
- Seeks out facts relevant to complaints to resolve issues.
- Reviews agency records to secure facts.
- Interviews parties to the complaint.
Attempts a common ground resolution of the issue after talking with employees, their representatives and management officials.
For information on the EEO Counselors, please contact the Office of Civil Rights (OCR)
Non NNSA Employees
Contractor Employees, sub-contract employees, and others not employed by the NNSA, please:
- Contact your current Contract employer to determine their EEO Complaint Process.
- Contact the local field office of the Employment Opportunity Commission (weblink) for procedures to file a complaint.
- You may be eligible for assistance from your local State Office of Human Rights. (pdf, 45kb)
- Contact your local State Government.