September 2012

Y-12 Press Release
Sep 24, 2012

AMARILLO, Texas – The Pantex Ordnance Plant began operations 70 years ago, turning out conventional bombs that helped end World War II and secure the world for peace. Pantex closed after the war ended and was reopened in 1951 as a nuclear weapons facility. Over the next several decades, missions from other facilities were consolidated at Pantex, which is now the nation’s primary facility for the assembly, disassembly and maintenance of nuclear weapons.