The Office of Emergency Operations Support maintains situational awareness of the nation's energy infrastructure and nuclear weapons complex and facilitates management of national emergency events via a secure nationwide communications network.
The Operations Center provides an integrated,
scalable, mobile and/or virtual response capability to enable NNSA to
successfully conduct routine and emergency operations through the leverage of
mission critical resources in terms of facilities, communications, and emergency
Forrestal Watch Office
Forrestal Watch Office (located at the Department of Energy/NNSA headquarters)
provides the 24-hour single point-of-contact for collecting, processing and
disseminating time-sensitive emergency notifications whenever needed. It
performs initial notifications, and coordinates management, logistics and
mobilization actions during periods of national emergencies, natural and
man-made disasters, acts of terrorism, or other extraordinary situations
requiring centralized management notification and response.
The Forrestal Operations Center and the Alternate Operations Center accommodates:
- 24/7 Watch Offices for the Department of Energy (DOE) Headquarters (one in the Forrestal location and one is in an Alternate location);
- Emergency Communications Network (ECN)
- Headquarters response to a departmental emergency or situation requiring departmental decision support
- Operations Center support staff.
The Forrestal Operations Center includes:
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), which supports ECN servers and other critical Operations Center equipment
- Independent air supply system filtered to protect against biological and radiological agents (99.7%).
Alternate Watch Office
When activated at senior leadership direction, the Forrestal Watch Office functions are transferred to a relocated Watch Office. This alternate Watch Office replicates the 24/7/365 mission and communications links resident in the Forrestal Watch Office.
The Alternate Operations Center includes Uninterruptible Power Supply supports ECN servers and other critical Operations Center equipment.
DHS/National Operations Center
The Department of Energy (DOE) / Department of Homeland Security (DHS)  Watch Office Desk in DHS's National Operations Center (NOC) represents DOE/NNSA within the NOC. In conjunction with over 80 federal, state, and local government agencies, the DOE/DHS Operations Center Watch Officer(s) collect, analyze and facilitate the exchange of vital information between DHS and DOE supporting the DHS mission of preventing and/or responding to acts of terrorism in the United States.