Challenge: The international safeguards and security system is being challenged by evolving proliferation and terrorism threats, expanding International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) responsibilities, a retiring safeguards workforce, and the need for better technologies to detect and deter proliferation, theft and sabotage.
Response: Revitalize, strengthen and sustain U.S. and international safeguards and security capabilities through the Next Generation Safeguards Initiative (NGSI) and International Nuclear Security programs that:
- Support the development of safeguards and security policies, concepts, and approaches
- Develop human capital through training and education
- Develop and implement new safeguards systems, technologies, and infrastructure
- Support nuclear infrastructure development that emphasizes safeguards and security
- Implement U.S. safeguards obligations (VOA/AP)
- Strengthen the security of nuclear materials and facilities worldwide